3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches
Everyone goes through a headache eventually and though they are often triggered by stress, allergies, fatigue, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies and more, it can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint the true reason as to why we experience this discomfort. Furthermore, some individuals are just more prone to headaches than others.
Treatment is usually done by waiting it out, sleeping it off or using over the counter drugs. These drugs are not perfect, however, because even though they typically work well for most people, they may present irritating side effects for others. There are also some individuals that simply prefer to use natural alternatives when it comes to their health and wellness.
For these individuals, essential oils are a viable treatment option for coping with, and even eliminating the unbearable pain associated with a headache or migraine.
"Essential" Pain Relief
If you’re unfamiliar with essential oils, no big deal; many people are unaware of the healing abilities and the incredible versatility of these commodities.
In short, essential oils are highly concentrated organic compounds that have been extracted from certain plants and contain their absolute essence, providing a range of benefits and uses. They have been used for thousands of years as mood stabilizers, antibiotics, sedatives, cleaning solutions and more.
They are also excellent analgesics, and their efficacy when treating headache pain has been praised by many individuals and corroborated by numerous studies.
But which oil should you use?
Here are the 3 best ones to consider:
1. Peppermint Oil
For decades, it has been advised to suck on a peppermint candy to relieve head pain. But due to its heavy concentration and lack of artificial sugars, peppermint oil is a better choice.
One study even showed that peppermint oil was just as effective as acetaminophen (Paracetamol) for the treatment of tension type headaches (1). The methodology used in the study was a 10% peppermint oil to 90% ethanol mix applied to the forehead and temples at 15 or 30 minute intervals, and most participants felt incredible relief after only 15 minutes.
You can also dilute a drop or 2 in a ½ teaspoon of a carrier oil (ideally, a non comedogenic oil such as sunflower or grape seed) and massage into the temples and neck.
This oil works its magic by hindering muscle contractions and stimulating blood flow, releasing tension very quickly. The soothing, aromatic scent and cooling effect are just its side benefits.
2. Lavender Oil
You have probably already know that lavender is used treat stress, anxiety and even induce sleep. This powerful herb is also an anti-inflammatory that you can call on when you’re dealing with a headache.
Like peppermint, it has also been found to be effective for treating headache pain (2). In the study, inhalation was the application method and this was done by applying 2 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil to the upper lip (in front of the nose).
You can also:
Inhale directly from the bottle at 10 minute intervals
Add 3 to 4 drops to 3 cups of boiling water and inhale the vapors
Use a diffuser
Rub a drop of the oil on each of your temples
Rub 2 to 3 drops of the oil in the back of your neck.
3. Eucalyptus Oil
We all know that a sinus infection can cause a huge deal of head and nasal irritation. When you find yourself in a "stuffy" situation, take a few whiffs of eucalyptus oil to relieve some tension.
This oil is the best at opening your nasal airways, allowing you to take in more oxygen which is important for headache relief.
Use eucalyptus oil for your headache by diluting a drop or 2 in a ½ teaspoon of a carrier oil (again, a non comedogenic ideally) and massage into the temples and neck.
Buying Your Essential Oils
Healing with essential is a safe and practical way to stop headaches from ruining our lives! The key is to ensure that you purchase essential oils that are high quality, pure and therapeutic. Thankfully, these 3 oils are some of the more affordable and easy to find on the market.
Follow these instructions and the pain from headaches and migraines will be a worry of the past almost immediately. Over time, you may also discover a plethora of other uses for essential oils for your health and your home and before you know it, they’ll be a valuable addition to your daily life.
This article was written by Trysh Sutton, owner of Pure Path.
- Feb 8, 2019 12 ways to reduce your plastic use Feb 8, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Firehose Belts and Their Incredible Journey Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 How Not to Ruin Your Clothing: Taking Better Care of Your Clothes Jan 16, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019 Fashioned by Nature - Inspiration and Innovation Jan 9, 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Natural shampoo bars and "The Transitional Purge" Jan 3, 2019
- Dec 29, 2018 Looking Back on 2018: DIY Year Reviews Dec 29, 2018
- Dec 2, 2018 How to Keep your Motivation Up Towards the End of the Year Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 21, 2018 Zero Waste Gift Essentials: Alternative Gifts Ideas for The Holiday Season Nov 21, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018