Using Herbs for Overall Wellbeing: Tips and Ideas
Herbs are a fantastic addition to any household. Obviously, they are handy in the kitchen, but there’s plenty of ways to use those magic little pieces of greenery pretty much anywhere in and around the house. I’ve outlined a fun little bit of herbs trivia below:
Many herbs have been used for centuries as adaptogens, meaning they help your body adapt to stress.
A large proportion of herbs can safely be used for beauty and skincare products
Many herbs are incredibly easy to grow, making them the perfect starting point for your gardening adventures.
They need just a little space to grow so regardless of whether you’re a student, flat-sharer or living at home with your parents, herbs can still be integrated into your daily life.
Reimaging your kitchen cupboard - discover a new world of herbs
Adding fresh herbs into your diet is a great way to start getting accustomed to different flavours. Fresh herbs tend to have a more delicate flavour and will be less overwhelming than their dried counterparts. However, dried herbs are in no way inferior – quite the opposite! When it comes to antioxidants, dried herbs are in fact more powerful. If you’re bored of the herbs collection in your kitchen cupboard, try by simply playing around with what you already have. There are numerous herbs mixes that you can prepare at home (I swear by oregano, rosemary and basil mix), which will open up a whole world of new flavour and recipe ideas! You can even try making your own ready-made sauce mix by adding together all your favourite herbs, plenty of salt (ok don’t go too crazy!) and a couple of base spices (like dried garlic, dried onion and black pepper). All you need to do from then on is cut up your favourite veg, add tomato passata to your spice mix and voila! You’re all done.
Introducing some of my favourite herbs for overall wellbeing
Let’s get into some more details beyond the culinary use of herbs! Whereas there are tons of options out there, certain herbs are more beneficial than others. I’ve decided to pick 3 of my favourite, most versatile herbs I can think of to give you a short go-to list of using herbs beyond your kitchen cupboard.
ROSEMARY: one of the classic herbs, native to the Mediterranean region. Rosemary is incredibly easy to grow, thanks to its sturdy leaves. The rich aroma is a perfect addition to many dishes, but there’s much more to it than just its aromatic charm. Rosemary is believed to have anti-ageing properties and has been used for centuries as a way to add natural shine to hair. Thanks to its healing and rebalancing properties, rosemary is great for your skin – try making your own rosemary facial steam for a relaxing and rebalancing experience.
MINT: this is an absolute classic that just can’t go unnoticed. It’s the perfect summer herb – infuse your water with mint, fresh berries, lemon and ice cubes to create the perfect drink to cool you down amidst a heatwave. Alternatively, you can use it on your face as well – try blending it with oats, then adding a couple of teaspoons of water to create your own DIY face mask!
TURMERIC: I simply can’t write an article without mentioning turmeric! This is literally the no. 1 herb that I use in pretty much every single savoury dish regardless of what time of the day or year it is. Turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a great flu fighter and another powerful facemask ingredient. It’s also great in smoothies!
What are your 3 favourite herbs? Let me know in the comments section below!
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018