3 Quick And Healthy Porridge Ideas
Below are three affordable and easy ways of making a delicious morning porridge that fills you up for hours and takes little to no effort to make!
Porridge is my ultimate superfood - and it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive - double yay! You can use any local and in-season fruit or just go for frozen fruit to keep the price on the lower end. Moreover, you can also make your own oat milk which is zero-waste, cheap and easy or simply dillute it with water.
1. TURMERIC OATMEAL
We all know turmeric is the magic powder of the food world – it's anti-infammatory and so incredibly versatile, working well in sweet and savoury dishes alike. This turmeric oatmeal is a sweet little morning delight to keep you full without breaking the budget!
- Make oatmeal according to your desired consistency (add mylk to make it thinner)
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric and stir well
- Add a pinch of vanilla extract
- Sprinkle chia seeds, pumpkin seeds aor coconut shreds on top.
- Garnish with your fruit of choice: I went for kiwi and nectarine this time!
- Add a teaspoon of almond butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- Optional: sweeten with agave nectar or another sweetener of your choice!
* Pro tip: add just a pinch of black pepper to make sure your body digest turmeric better!
2. POWER PORRIDGE
This one takes less than 5 minutes to put together and fills me up for hours. It’s an ultimate meal on busy mornings when I know my afternoon will be packed with activities and I want to make sure my energy levels stay up for a while!
- Make oatmeal to your desired consistency
- Add fresh or frozen blueberries and half a banana
- A handful of hazelnuts
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- A tiny teaspoon of hemp protein powder
- Add a large spoon of peanut butter (make sure you go for the one with no added salt, sugar and palm oil)
- Add delicious goji berries
- Top it off with a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon
3. MAGIC POWDER BREKKIE
This one is not really a proper recipe – it’s just about throwing in every leftover that could possibly work in a porridge and stirring it through. I posted the yoghurt version of this recipe on my IG account a while ago and it got so much attention so here’s a quick breakdown of the ingredients.
- Fresh blueberries
- Cocoa nibs
- Chia seeds
- Hemp protein powder
- Roasted cashews
Like I mentioned above, all the recipes work well with plant-based yoghurt (soy or coconut) instead of oatmeal. This is a lighter and quicker version that works well as a small meal or a large snack in between meals.
Got any other oatmeal ideas or tried out one of my 3 favourite go-to porridge recipes? Let us know in the comments below!
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018