Construct an Epic Smoothie Bowl!
The weather is slowly heating up and that means it’s time for smoothie bowls! I love to have oatmeal on cold winter mornings, but on a sunny warm morning there is nothing better than a smoothie bowl. If you’re anything like me, you follow a bunch of Instagram accounts that create some epic smoothie bowls. Of course, the main goal when making a smoothie is to make it tasty and healthy, but making it look pretty is a great bonus. In this blog post I walk you through how to construct and epic smoothie bowl that is filled with nutrients and tastes delicious.
My go-to base for any smoothie bowl is bananas. Specifically, frozen bananas. They give a great sweetness to smoothies and are also a great source of fibre and potassium. Using frozen bananas adds creaminess and if you don’t add too much liquid, you’ll achieve an ice cream consistency. This is called nicecream, and it’s honestly the most tasty thing ever!
In terms of liquids, you can add a variety here. If you’re aiming for a fruity smoothie, you can add water or coconut water to your base. This will keep the smoothie nice and light. If you want a more creamy consistency, use a plant milk. I prefer soy milk but really any plant based milk will do. You can also try adding a little bit of coconut cream; this will add healthy fats to your smoothie and make it nice and indulgent.
Other Fruits & Vegetables
Once you’ve got your base sorted, you can start to think of what other fruits and vegetables you want to add in. Berries are always a great go-to, as they’re very tasty and colourful and will add antioxidants to you meal. Other fruits that I have found go well in a smoothie are: mango, pineapple and peach. If you want your smoothie nice and thick, try adding avocado, which provides some great healthy fats and a creamy texture.
Smoothies are also a great way to get your greens in. I find spinach to be the best one to add, as it’s pretty flavourless and blends in well. I suggest blending the spinach with a little water first, in order to make sure it mixes in well with the smoothie. You can also add kale or other leafy greens, like lettuce.
Now that you’ve picked your base as well as the additional fruits and vegetables, you can start blending. Your smoothie will turn out great at this point, but if you want to take it up a notch there are some extra things you can add in. For some additional nutrients, try adding chia or flax seeds. Both seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and flax seeds bring an extra fibre kick to your smoothie.
You can also add some powders at this stage. If you enjoy protein powder this is great one to add in; there are some amazing plant based protein powders on the market. You can also add a greens powder, such as spirulina powder. If you want to add some more flavour to your smoothie, try adding cacao or maca powder. I also love to add peanut butter to my smoothie. It’s a good source of protein and healthy fats, and I love the flavour it adds.
Once you’ve blended your smoothie to achieve a nice creamy consistency, it’s time to enjoy it. In order to top off your smoothie bowl you need, you guessed it, toppings. I always like to add some nuts to my smoothie bowl, my go-to being almonds, and well as a good serving of granola. These toppings add some texture to your meal as well as some carbs. I also like to add a little extra fruit on top of my bowl, like banana or berries. And last but not least, I usually drizzle some extra peanut butter on top. Because, in my world, you can never have enough peanut butter.
If you’re wanting to take an epic picture of your smoothie bowl, go ahead and make it look pretty. And if you’re not bothered, just add everything on top and dig in. You’ve got yourself a tasty and nutritious meal, filled with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and healthy fats.
With a meal like this in your stomach, you’re ready to take on the day!
- May 27, 2019 A Story of Denim Jeans May 27, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 Sustainability and Ethics in the Fashion Industry Apr 11, 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Firehose Belts and Their Incredible Journey Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 How Not to Ruin Your Clothing: Taking Better Care of Your Clothes Jan 16, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019 Fashioned by Nature - Inspiration and Innovation Jan 9, 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Natural shampoo bars and "The Transitional Purge" Jan 3, 2019
- Dec 29, 2018 Looking Back on 2018: DIY Year Reviews Dec 29, 2018
- Dec 2, 2018 How to Keep your Motivation Up Towards the End of the Year Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 21, 2018 Zero Waste Gift Essentials: Alternative Gifts Ideas for The Holiday Season Nov 21, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018