How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day
The day of love is upon us! If you want to start this day off right, cooking up a breakfast for you and your loved one is the way to go. It doesn’t take much time or money, and you both end up with a yummy meal.
This post will give you some ideas on how to construct an epic vegan breakfast. For those who prefer something sweet in the morning, there is a special Valentines Day pancake recipe here for you. And if you’re more into savoury food, why not try making your own tofu scramble? And lastly, for those who don't have the time or will to cook, there’s some suggestions in here for quick and easy breakfast ideas that will still impress your love. And remember; you don’t need to be in a relationship in order to enjoy an epic vegan breakfast on Valentines Day, or any day of the year!
Heart-Shaped Valentines Pancakes (Plain & Chocolate)
Special equipment needed: if you want to create heart shapes, you’ll need a squeeze bottle (something like this).
(Serves: 2 people)
- 5 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (+ some extra for cooking the pancakes if you don’t have a non-stick pan)
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 2/3 cups water
- Optional: 1 tbsp cacao powder
As with all recipes, this one is easily customisable. Use your choice of plant-milk, oil and flour. This recipe also works well when substituting the apple sauce for 1 ripe banana.
- In a large bowl, add apple sauce, soy milk and oil and mix.
- To the bowl add in the baking powder and baking soda and combine well.
- Add in the flour and water gradually and mix continuously. You should end up with a relatively thick batter. Keep stirring until there are no more lumps.
- If you are making the two flavours of pancakes, split the batter into two bowls at this step. Leave one as it is, and add the cacao powder to the other.
- Add the batter to your squeeze bottle(s).
- Place your non-stick pan onto medium heat and let the pan warm up. If you are not using a non-stick pan, add your oil to the pan and let it heat up on the hob.
- Using your squeeze bottle create heart-shaped pancakes, ideally the size of your palm. Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Best served straight away. Add any topping of your choice: fruit, nuts and syrup are some of my favourites.
Other Sweet Treats
If you don’t feel like making pancakes, or don’t have the time, you still have plenty of options for a sweet Valentines breakfast.
Some of my favourites are:
Jus-Rol's Cinnamon Rolls, Pan du Chocolat and Croissants: If you didn’t already know, these ready-prepared pastries, which you can find in pretty much all UK supermarkets, are actually vegan. All you have to do is put them in the oven and you’ve got yourself a plate of warm treats. You can also fill them with your favourite spread, like jam, peanut butter or chocolate for extra yumminess. They’re delicious and look pretty impressive!
Fruit Salad: A colourful fruit salad is a great option for a valentines day breakfast. Make sure to get some colourful fruit, like strawberries, blueberries and melon, to make it look pretty. All you have to do is chop the fruit and serve it as is, or with some plant-based yoghurt.
(Serves: 2 people)
- 1 block firm tofu (around 350g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- Splash of water (around 1 tbsp)
- Optional: any extra veggies. I added frozen chopped spinach (1 cup), but you can also add mushrooms, onion, red pepper; anything you’d like!
- Drain your tofu and remove as much liquid from it as possible. You can do this by pressing it between paper towels.
- In a bowl, crumble your tofu with your hands. You should get a lot of small chunks. Put your bowl aside.
- In a frying or non-stick pan, add your oil and any vegetables you want to add. Let them cook for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add your tofu to the pan and mix it thoroughly with the vegetables.
- Add all your spices to the pan, as well as the splash of water. The water will help the spices mix in better with the tofu and vegetables.
- Let cook for 4 - 5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve as it is, or with some toast!
Other Savoury Items
Full English Breakfast: If you want to go all out, create a full English breakfast using your tofu scramble. Add toast, veggie sausages (I love these Linda McCarthy ones), baked beans, mushrooms and tomato.
Avocado Toast: It’s a classic but it never gets old. Simply get some toast, add some avocado, salt, lemon and pepper and you’ve got yourself an epic breakfast item.
I hope these ideas and recipes help you have an amazing Valentines' Day; enjoy!
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018