Zero Waste Gift Essentials: Alternative Gifts Ideas for The Holiday Season
As we slowly start to enter the holiday season, the thought of gifting your loved ones with that one perfect gift starts to crawl upon us. For some people, this can be a hugely stressful time – you might be on a tight budget and simply can’t afford that perfect gift or you might think you don’t know the person well enough to give them a great gift. Sounds like you? Read on and discover some of my favourite zero waste gift essentials.
Studies have shown repeatedly that by investing money into experiences, instead of things, we can achieve greater happiness. The claim that having a physical item that we can touch/see every day and hold on to for a longer period of time will remind us to be grateful for it time and time again, has been widely disclaimed. As time passes by, we grow accustomed to our physical possessions and the initial excitement that we experience upon buying/receiving the item is quickly replaced by our longing for more.
This is where the vast majority of my first zero-waste gift idea stems from. Alternatively, my blog post also includes a few ideas for those that can’t find a good ‘experience’ option and still want to stay aligned with their zero waste ideals.
Gifting Experiences > Gifting Things
I have found that a lot of my friends considering giving experiences a fantastic idea and yet, for one reason or the other, they opted against it. Whether they had absolutely no idea where to start, their main ideas were beyond their budget or they were simply scared their friend would appreciate the gesture. If you’re reading this, there’s a chance you might be stuck in the same situation at this very moment, so I gathered some of my favourite tips and tricks that might make it easier for you.
Some of the most common alternative gift ideas that don’t include gifting physical items are, in fact, quite common – a deeply relaxing massage, an afternoon tea with friends or a concert/cinema/theatre ticket.
TEA/COFFEE AFICIONADO: Find a local craft coffee or matcha tea workshop and you’re all set! Alternatively, you can always go for the classic gift voucher from your friend’s favourite café ;)
SPORTS FAN: I’ve got plenty of sports fans in my family and find that they’re very easy to find gifts for – think stadium tours, match/season tickets, sports museums, swimming/gym memberships etc.
TRAVEL LOVER: Travel is a majorly disputed topic in the zero waste community, and yet remains one of the most enriching experiences – encourage your friend to travel consciously using public transport (train/bus tickets are always a good idea) or plan a camping/hiking trip out in nature.
ARTS AND CRAFTS ENTHUSIAST: Again – workshops and training courses are a fantastic way to enrich your friend’s life! Creative writing, sewing, knitting, painting, pottery classes and more.
Still not convinced? If experiences are not an option for whatever reason, my biggest advice would be to support local brands or independent artists. Try to avoid mass corporations and instead support brands and businesses that are aligned with your low impact/ zero waste philosophy – it will not only feel better but also have a positive impact on the environment!
Last but not least – YOU are the one who knows your friend best, so make sure to LISTEN OUT for any hints and most importantly – get creative!
- Dec 2, 2018 How to Keep your Motivation Up Towards the End of the Year Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 21, 2018 Zero Waste Gift Essentials: Alternative Gifts Ideas for The Holiday Season Nov 21, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018