How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks
Getting a good night's sleep is essential for our mental and physical wellbeing. And yet, it's one of the aspects of health that often goes unnoticed. Hectic work and travel schedules, university deadlines and even social occasions all get in the way of ensuring you get enough quality sleep. Regardless of what's keeping you awake at night, there are plenty of things you can try out to ease your insomnia. I've divided them into 3 sections:
Pleasant scent can transform a room and uplift your spirit. If you're having trouble falling asleep, you might want to try:
- Changing your sheets: Changing your bed sheets works wonders for your overall feeling of comfort. It drives up the cosiness factor immensely and helps you feel comfortable and relaxed. Grab your favourite laundry detergent and get ready to have the best night’s sleep in a long time!
- Linen spray: Realistically you can't really be changing your bed sheets every single night so you might need to rely on some extra fragrance magic. There are tons of linen sprays on the market or you could even try making one yourself using essential oils and water. Spritz your favourite sleepy scent on your pillow and get ready to enter dreamland ...
- Essential oils: Essentials oils really are the closest you will get to magic. There are endless scents to choose from depending on your mood and preferences, but picking something calming like lavender and rose is a great place to start. Try rubbing a few drops of your favourite oil on your temples or wrists and get an instant anxiety relief.
- Fresh air from the outside: It might work wonders for you to just open your bedroom window and let a breath of fresh air enter your room. You will be more connected to the outside world while the distant sounds might help you drift off to sleep more easily (disclaimer: this very much depends on your sound tolerance and the area you live in).
If you're having trouble falling asleep try to explore soothing sounds that will help your mind drift away from everyday worries. Absolute silence can make it even more difficult for us to let go of our thoughts so it's important to find what type of sounds make you relaxed, calm and sleepy. So many articles on better sleep mention turning off all your appliances and I can't help but argue that this just doesn't work for everyone. If listening to your favourite childhood TV programme makes you feel safe and helps you get a good night's sleep, then surely that's an amazing thing! Some of the most common sounds that accompany thousands of people all around the world as they drift off to sleep are:
- Soothing music: it might be classical music or it might be jazz, cinematic or any other calming music. Try out different YouTube/Spotify playlists to see what works for you.
- Hypnosis and meditation: YouTube is full of free content that is designed to soothe your mind all night long - you can even find recordings that are more than 8 hours long!
- Audiobooks: Most audiobooks voice actors have naturally soothing voices, helping you to feel more comfortable as well as engaged in an intriguing story.
- Favourite films and TV programmes: A light-hearted comedy programme or a classic feel-good film might take your mind off whatever is keeping you awake.
- ASMR: ASMR is relatively new but has exploded in popularity in recent years and is the single most powerful tool I've ever used to help ease my anxiety. There are so many visual and audio triggers that might work for you (these are my 2 favourites - ).
- Don't overeat, but just as importantly - don't go to bed hungry. Going to bed hungry will make it harder for you to fall asleep as you turn around endlessly trying to forget about your hunger.
- Serve up a warming, soothing drink. Make sure to avoid caffeine (watch out for hidden caffeine in tea!). A great alternative would be hot cocoa, warm homemade lemonade or herbal teas like chamomile, lavender, and rosemary.
I'm hoping my quick and easy, as well as budget-friendly and natural tips might give you some fresh ideas on how to ease into the night. Last but not least and something I wasn’t quite able to squeeze under the 3 categories: reading fiction. Just 20 minutes of light reading before bed can make a world of difference – try it tonight and let me know your thoughts or other sleep tricks in the comment below!
- May 27, 2019 A Story of Denim Jeans May 27, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 Sustainability and Ethics in the Fashion Industry Apr 11, 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Firehose Belts and Their Incredible Journey Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 How Not to Ruin Your Clothing: Taking Better Care of Your Clothes Jan 16, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019 Fashioned by Nature - Inspiration and Innovation Jan 9, 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Natural shampoo bars and "The Transitional Purge" Jan 3, 2019
- Dec 29, 2018 Looking Back on 2018: DIY Year Reviews Dec 29, 2018
- Dec 2, 2018 How to Keep your Motivation Up Towards the End of the Year Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 21, 2018 Zero Waste Gift Essentials: Alternative Gifts Ideas for The Holiday Season Nov 21, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 Immunity-Boosting Foods for Flu Season Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Minimal and Eco-Friendly Halloween Decorations Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 How to Sleep Better: Natural Tips and Tricks Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 21, 2018 Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe, Perfect for Fall Oct 21, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Social Media and Mental Health: How to Use Social Media Mindfully Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 5 Inspiring Podcasts about Ethical and Sustainable Living Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 17, 2018 Discovering the hype behind DRY BRUSHING Sep 17, 2018
- Sep 1, 2018 Which Superfoods to Incorporate Into Your Diet and How Sep 1, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 3 Essential Oils To Soothe Headaches Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 17, 2018 Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Aug 17, 2018
- Aug 10, 2018 Decorating your Home in an Ethical and Eco-Friendly Manner Aug 10, 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 3 Ways to Incorporate More Greens into your Diet Apr 10, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Spring Cleaning your Closet: How to Move Towards a Minimalist Ethical Wardrobe Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 For the farmers sake... Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Why You Should Make Your Own Granola: Easy Vegan Granola Recipe Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 6, 2018 Plastic bottles turned into clothing Mar 6, 2018
- Feb 20, 2018 Certified by the Fairwear Foundation Feb 20, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 How to Construct an Epic Vegan Breakfast for Valentines' Day Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How to Continue with Veganism after Veganuary Feb 7, 2018
- January 2018